InDesign files depends on fonts and linked graphics that must be sent along with it in order for it to work properly. Without these files / fonts, we cannot work on your files without issues.
Fortunately, InDesign has a built-in Package utility that creates a folder with a name of your choice, puts a copy of your document into the folder, and then copies all necessary fonts and images into the folder as well.
Here is how you can package your InDesign files to send to us.
- Open your INDD file in InDesign.
- If possible, resolve any errors concerning missing links or fonts.
- Go to File: Package.
- Click the Package button at the bottom of the Summary window
(This window was called the preflight window in older versions).
- Click continue on the “Printing Instructions” window (most people ignore these instructions, but feel free to add your details if required.)
- Browse to where you’d like to create the package folder (desktop would be fine) and enter the name of the folder.
- Make sure that the follow are all checked.
- Copy Font
- Copy Linked Graphics
- Update Graphic Links in Package AND
- Include Fonts and Links from Hidden….
- Click the package button.
Find the new folder that InDesign created and verify that it contains copies of all required files. You can do this by checking the links and fonts folders.
Right-click the folder and choose “Compress” (Mac) or “Send to ZIP” (Windows, might be something different but similar depending on what software you have installed).
If the file size is less than 10MB, you can probably safely e-mail it to us. If it’s more, then you should use some other method (DropBox, FTP, YouSendIt, web server, etc.) to share the file.